We all have at least one permanent lipstick shade in our purse, don’t we? Experimenting with different types of shades can seem like a very tricky thing to do. You don’t want to look weird but deep down want to try different gorgeous and best lipstick shades out there to enhance your finesse.
There are dozens of different shades out there that go according to your skin tone and it is not that difficult to find them once you understand the makeup science behind it. Just adding a different color to your lips can totally change your appearance even if you are wearing your regular attire & hairstyle.
You might be using a nude shade on a regular basis. However, if you are going to a party, just by changing your lip color you can transform your look. Similarly, a poorly chosen lipstick shade that also clashes with your skin tone can ruin your appearance. So we need to be careful and understand the importance of using a lipstick color that goes according to your skin tone.
How To Select Best Lipstick Shades According to Different Skin Tones
It might seem a daunting task to find the perfect shades for you. But once you have the knowledge on how to pick best lipstick shades, you will easily be selecting the gorgeous and flattering shades and try different looks on you with confidence.No matter what you are looking for everyday wear, party look, or your signature shade, we have got you covered.
1) Identify your undertone
The first and foremost step is to decide what kind of undertone you have. Is it pink or yellow? – Pink falls under cool undertone and yellow falls under warm undertone. This, however, is a great method to figure out which lipstick suits best on you.
Now how to identify your undertone?
Let us give you a quick way to understand your undertone. Just have a look at your veins on your wrist. If the veins appear to be green then you have a yellow undertone. If your veins seem to be blue, then you have got a pink undertone. If you see both blue and green veins, then you have a neutral undertone that means you are blessed and you can wear any color confidently without any worry.
There is another way to identify your undertone. Hold a piece of gold and silver jewelry up to your face and then you have to identify which suits you more. If gold seems to be suited more with your skin then it means you have a yellow undertone. But if silver is going with your skin tone better, that means you have a pink undertone. If both are looking equally good, then you have a neutral undertone.
2) Know the shades for your undertone
Now that you have identified your undertone, it will be very easy to understand what lipstick shade to get to enhance your look. Focus on the hues that are similar to your undertone. Also, If you have a yellow undertone that means warm undertone is better for you. So it is best to go for warm shades in lipstick such as orange or peach-toned lipsticks, which have a warm touch to it. But if you have a pink undertone, then go for the shades that have blue or purple hues. Also, women with pink undertone can wear classic red confidently. If you have a neutral undertone or olive complexion, then you can rock ok any shade of lipstick that you like without any worry.
3) Know The Skin tone
Now that you know your undertone and the kind of shades that go according to it, it is also important to know about your skin tone as well so that you can find your perfect shades of lipstick. Mostly there are five types of skin tones – fair, light, medium, tan, or Deep. If you’re having trouble in identifying your skin tone then look at your face in the natural light with no makeup on. Check your skin around your jawline. There you can find the tone of your skin and conclude your skin complexion. So in this way now you can know both your undertone and your skin tone and you can easily avoid colors that clash with your complexion and you can find your perfect shades that help in enhancing your makeup look.
- DARK SKIN TONE: If you have dark skin tone then you can easily pull off brown shades like caramel and walnut. You can also try the purple shades like deep plum or berry wine. If you want to go for a nude shade then choose a lipstick with hues of metallic, warm caramel, or rich berry shade. If you have a warm undertone, then cherry red lipstick is a very good option for a bold look.
- TAN SKIN TONE: Those with tan skin tone has both tan and olive complexion. Avoid too much purple in your lipstick and you can try colors that have orange, coral, and pink hues. If you have a cool undertone, then you can easily go for wine and cherry red shade.
- MEDIUM SKIN TONE: Those with medium skin tone can easily try berry, mauve as well as rose shades. You can add beige or brown hues as well. If you want to go for nude shades then you can use shades with soft pink or cranberry hues.
- LIGHT SKIN TONE: If you have a light skin tone, you can try shades like pink, peach, or coral. If you have a cool tone, then avoid colors with golden or yellow hues because light skin tone can appear to be pale. If you want a bold color then you can try a pink-based red for red-based coral. Raspberry, Mocha, orange-based coral, and beige shades also look great on you.
- FAIR SKIN TONE: Those with fair skin tones can easily get redness so shades like nude peach, pink or beige look best on you. But avoid lipsticks with yellow hues. If you have cool undertone then mocha and raspberry look great on you. If you have a warm undertone then peachy nudes will look good on you. Shades with blue hues are good for cool complexion and shades with orange hues are good for the warm complexion.
Best Lipsticks Shades
Below are our recommendations for selecting the best lipstick shades available in the market. These lipsticks are easily available online.
- Maybelline New York Color Sensational Pink Lipstick Matte Lipstick, Almond Pink
- Lakme Enrich Satins Lip Color, Shade P165
- Oriflame Pure Colour Lipstick, Tempting Brown
- Faces Canada Weightless Matte Lipstick – Purple Tiara 07 (Pink)
- Iba Halal Care Pure Lips Moisturizing Lipstick Shade, A35 Dark Chocolate
- Maybelline New York Color Sensational Shine Compulsion Lipstick Makeup, Chocolate Lust
- Faces Canada Weightless Crème Lipstick – Wine Drop 20 (Wine)
- Blue Heaven Splash Super Matte Lipstick, Dusky Nude
Related article: Let The Pink Do It’s Magic With Our 10 Best Pink Blushes Of 2021
I was the president of the Fashionista Club at my college. That is when I discovered my love for writing on fashion and beauty, mainly to inspire others. Since then, I love to constantly lookout for fashion trends and beauty secrets. I am in love with the idea of going organic in terms of beauty. If I were a beauty product, I’d be Essential oil. Beauty is a healthy state of mind and the only beauty standard that I follow is anything that makes me happy and confident. I love to inculcate positive habits in me and have an optimistic attitude. I live by the idea of living life in harmony and to bloom with grace. I believe that the concept of Beauty & Style of anyone is something that is very personal and it starts with loving yourself. Afterall Bosswoman Vibes are the most sexy and you gotta believe in your inner Beyonce.